SydPath Haematology provides both a diagnostic and clinical service in Haematology and Transfusion Medicine for several local and regional hospitals as well as specialists and general practitioners.
The central automated laboratory and transfusion medicine laboratory operates 24 hours/day, 7 days/week providing a comprehensive range of laboratory services including:
- Full blood count examination, ESR and screening for malaria and infectious mononucleosis
- Haemostasis testing – both routine and specialised testing for the investigation of bleeding and thrombotic disorders
- Anticoagulant therapy testing, monitoring and advice – this includes specialised testing for the novel/new oral anticoagulant drugs (i.e. dabigatran, rivaroxaban) as well as point-of-care INR testing for monitoring warfarin therapy
- Haemoglobinopathy investigations and interpretation
- Antenatal testing and blood transfusion support for trauma, transplant and surgical procedures
- Bone marrow biopsy collection and reporting
In addition to these routine services, there is also a Haemopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Laboratory and the department provides professional management of laboratory services for clinical trials and research.
SydPath Haematology is actively engaged in translational research in a number of areas including haemostasis, leukaemia and patient blood management.
A Haematologist trained in both laboratory and clinical haematology is available 24 hours to consult on issues such as test interpretation, dealing with critical results and new haematological diagnoses and providing expertise and advice in relation to patient blood management.
To view our list of Haematologists please click here